We apologize for the overdue game recap.. On the other hand, given the Wolves recent history against the Lakers, you probably knew the outcome before checking in with us. Friday night’s game made it 19 straight losses to LA, the longest such streak facing the Lakers against any team since 1999 (Dallas). It is also the longest losing steak against any one team in the NBA.
Our favorite ball club will have to wait until next season to end the streak, unless of course the two teams meet in the playoffs. In a year that the Wolves have ended many ugly streaks, the possibility of losing 20 straight to Kobe and Co. still looms.
And now, for some game notes:
- Friday’s game was the first game as a Laker for former T-Wolf Ramon Sessions. He is in the third year of a four year, $16 million dollar deal inked by our PG czar, David Kahn.
- It has been interesting to gauge reactions to LA’s acquisition of Sessions. Regardless of what you think, he will give the team a new look at PG, a sore spot for the Lakers in previous years as Derrick Fisher aged into Mike Bibby 2.0.
- Kevin Love has yet to beat the Lakers in his career. The power forward did not play in the previous two matchups this season.
- This is about the time in each post where we beat the dead horse: we have a collection of shooting guards that don’t seem particularly fond of shooting the ball. Wes took 4 shots in 22 minutes on the floor and even found time for a rebound. Wayne Ellington did one better, scoring on 2 of 5 shots in 17 minutes. Yes, that’s correct, we got 7 points from the two young guards (3-9), along with 3 rebounds and 1 assist in 39+ minutes. Somewhere, John Hollinger’s head is exploding as he attempts to calculate each players PER.
- JJ Barea has had some great moments in a Wolves uniform. He has transformed lifeless efforts by the starting five into unexpected victories. Tonight was not one of those nights. It can be exciting and maddening to watch Barea play – he often fails to get others involved, instead forcing shots up for himself.
- Love had his usual double-double, with 27 points on 11-24 shooting and 15 rebounds.
- Luke Ridnour did a nice job when running point, racking up 11 assists without turning over the ball.
- Lets not forget that this is a talented Lakers team. Despite their struggles on the road, LA improved to 19-2 at home after Friday’s game.
- The Wolves are now 1-2 to start the crucial 7 game road trip. The Pups will take their talents to Sacramento for the 3rd game of 4 against the Kings this year. We beat the Kings in the two previous meetings, each of which was at home.
That’s all for now. Until next time..